Wednesday 14 October 2020

Sony WH-1000XM3 - Replacing the USB-C connector

I've been fairly consistantly doing a lot of soldering over the last few years, both surface mount and through hole.  Every now and then I accept "easy" jobs from my friends.  I've fixed buttons on car key fobs, micro usb connectors and now the USB-C connector on Sony WH-1000XM3 head phones.

This has probably been the first item where I've not been able to get to the pins to solder them on.  So lets have a look at what is involved.

Deconstruction

The headphones are really nicely put together and very repairable, something other manufacturers should take note of.


Using a spudger start at the side and make your way around to remove the foam ear piece.



Luckily there are only screws and a bit of tape holding it together.  Remove the first flexible connector.


Remove the plastic cover to expose the USB-C connector


Remove the second flexible connector and the small PCB. Look at that mess of crushed pins.


Using a Hot Air tool remove the connector.  You'll notice I've left the solder on the pads.
 
 

Which part is this?

 
        

Now that I had the part off it was off to RS-Components to play match the foot print.  With some digital calipers in hand and data sheets on the screen I managed to find a good match.

 

Reconstruction


 
I left the solder on the pads on purpose so I could reflow it with my Quick 861DW.
Carefully tin the small connector pins.
Place back on the PCB.
Now use your Hot air tool to relflow it with a little downward pressure. Keep the air down quite low. I had it on 40 l/min
 

Make sure you secure it properly as you do not want it to break off.

 
It lives . . . actually I tested it quite a bit before putting it back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment